The junior resource stocks we’ve dug up have seen recent insider buying during the month of February
SmallCapPower | March 2, 2021: Insiders are defined as company management or individuals or institutions that own more than 10% of a company’s shares. Today, we have done a deep dive into insider buying in the mining and oil and gas sectors and have found three junior gold/copper stocks and one oil and gas stock with significant insider buying over the past 28 days. The insiders we have identified are institutional investors, company executives or board members, which have added to their positions.
*Share price data and other metrics as of February 26, 2021
Rupert Resources Ltd. (TSXV:RUP) – $3.95
Rupert is a Canada-based gold exploration company. RUP’s flagship property is the Pahtavaara gold mine, located in the Central Lapland Greenstone Belt in northern Finland. Pahtavaara previously produced over 420,000 ounces of gold and 474,000 ounces remain as an Inferred mineral resource (4.6 Mt at a grade of 3.2 g/t Au at a 1.5 g/t Au cut-off grade). The Company also holds a 100% interest in the Surf Inlet Property in British Columbia, a 100% interest in properties in Central Finland and a 20% carried participating interest in the Gold Centre property located adjacent to the Red Lake mine in Ontario. Recently, Rupert Resources’ largest shareholder added 27,800 to his position at an average cost of $3.65/share.
- Market Cap: $652.9M
- YTD-Return: -23.3%
- 30-Day Return: -3.7%
- 30-Day Average Trading Volume: 36,370
- Insider Name: Alan Douglas Brimacombe
- Insider Role: Largest Shareholder (12.3% ownership)
- Purchase Date: February 18, 2021
- Number of Shares: 27,800
- Share Price Paid: $3.65
- Total Transaction Value: $101,470
Paramount Resources Ltd. (TSX:POU) – $10.80
Oil and Gas
Paramount Resources is a liquids-focused Canadian energy company that explores for, and develops, both conventional and unconventional petroleum and natural gas reserves and resources. The Company also pursues longer-term strategic exploration and pre-development plays and holds a portfolio of investments in other entities. Paramount’s principal properties located in Alberta and British Columbia include: 1) the Grande Prairie Region, located in the Peace River Arch, Alberta, focused on Montney developments at Karr and Wapiti; 2) The Kaybob Region, located in west-central Alberta, which is focused on Montney and Duvernay developments at Kaybob, Smoky River, Pine Creek and Ante Creek; 3) Other Central Alberta and BC properties, including the Duvernay development plays in Central Alberta at Willesden Green and the East Shale Basin in addition to 180,000 acres of lands in British Columbia. Recently, Joerg Wittenberg the VP of the Grande Prairie Region bought 32,000 shares at a price of $10.75/share.
- Market Cap: $1449.4M
- YTD-Return: +116.0%
- 30-Day Return: +72.0%
- 30-Day Average Trading Volume: 558,550
- Insider Name: Joerg Wittenberg
- Insider Role: Vice President, Grande Prairie Region
- Purchase Date: February 12, 2021
- Number of Shares: 32,000
- Share Price Paid: $10.75
- Total Transaction Value: $344,000
Eskay Mining Corp. (TSXV:ESK) – $2.40
Eskay is a junior exploration company focused on the exploration and development of precious and base metals in British Columbia in a highly prolific, polymetallic area known as the Eskay Rift Belt located in British Columbia’s Golden Triangle, 70km northwest of Stewart, BC. The Company currently holds mineral tenures in this area comprised of 177 claims (130,000 acres). Last November, Eskay Mining raised $10M via a private placement with proceeds of the offering expected to fund the Company’s 2021 exploration activities as well as general corporate purposes. Recently, CEO Mac Balkam exercised some options and bought 200,000 shares.
- Market Cap: $375.5M
- YTD-Return: +9.1%
- 30-Day Return: +15.9%
- 30-Day Average Trading Volume: 425,980
- Insider Name: Hugh M. (Mac) Balkam
- Insider Role: President/CEO, Director
- Purchase Date: February 3, 2021
- Number of Shares: 200,000
- Share Price Paid: $0.11
- Total Transaction Value: $21,000
Libero Copper & Gold Corporation (TSXV:LBC) – $0.50
Copper and Gold Mining
Libero Copper & Gold is a mineral exploration company that holds a collection of porphyry copper deposits throughout the Americas in prolific but stable jurisdictions. The portfolio includes Big Bulk, Big Red, Esperanza, and Mocoa.
- Big Bulk is a porphyry copper-gold target located 50 kilometres southeast of Stewart, British Columbia, Canada. Big Bulk is fully permitted and drill ready. The initial 2,000 metre diamond drill program will commence in the summer 2021.
- Big Red is a new porphyry copper-gold discovery in the Golden Triangle, British Columbia, Canada — a geological province famous for its prodigious gold and copper mineralization. The initial drill program was completed during the 2020 field season resulting in the Terry discovery. Four holes were drilled at the end of the season and each of the holes was mineralized from surface to end of hole. A 5,000-metre diamond drill program is planned for the 2021 field season to test the target at depth and step out.
- Esperanza is a porphyry copper-gold and epithermal gold project located in the prolific precious and base metal endowed Huachi mining district, San Juan Province, Argentina. In 2018, the drill program intercepted 387 metres of 0.78% copper equivalent from surface through to the end of hole, which was never followed up on due to market conditions. A 5,000-metre drill program will start in spring 2021.
- Mocoa is a porphyry copper-molybdenum deposit located in Putomayo, Colombia in the Jurrasic porphyry belt, which extends through Ecuador and Colombia including the Mirador mine and Waritza deposit.
Recently, the Company’s Executive Chairman Ian Slater bought 250,000 additional Libero shares on prospects of a positive 2021 drilling season.
- Market Cap: $21.6M
- YTD-Return: +17.6%
- 30-Day Return: +11.1%
- 30-Day Average Trading Volume: 194,170
- Insider Name: Ian Slater
- Insider Role: Executive Chairman
- Purchase Date: February 1, 2021
- Number of Shares: 250,000
- Share Price Paid: $0.10
- Total Transaction Value: $25,000
Disclosure: Neither the author nor his family own shares in any of the companies mentioned above.
To read our full disclosure, please click on the button below: